Sunday, October 5, 2014

Signature Sundays - Xander Bogaerts!

The 2014 season was a very disappointing one for the Boston Red Sox to say the least.  They ended the year just two games better than the disastrous 2012 team, which posted the worst record since before I was born (which was 1982).  One player that I think has a very bright future ahead of him is shortstop Xander Bogaerts, and recently I was able to add his autograph to my collection courtesy of 2014 Topps Chrome:

This is the Rookie Autographs Sepia Refractor, featuring an on-card autograph and limited to just 75 copies.  I think Xander is going to have a spot on the roster for many years to come so I've been on the lookout to add his auto to my Red Sox collection for many months now.  I decided this was the one I wanted to make a play at for a couple of reasons.

First of all, there's just something about sepia tone and the sport of baseball that go hand in hand, in a Ken Burns old-timey sort of way.  I also like that the signature is on-card, and somewhat scarce at just 75 in existence.  Most of all though, I was drawn to the great image of Xander signing a baseball card for a fan!

I like that the back informs us that Bogaerts became the youngest Red Sox player ever to start a post-season game during last year's World Series run.

In the one-touch magnetic holder that the card now calls home it scanned in with more of a blue border.  Either way, it's a beautiful looking card as far as I'm concerned, and one I hope to enjoy in my collection for many years to come (read:  don't trade him please!).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...