Saturday, April 5, 2014

Leicester City and Tony Knapp

The Barclay's Premier League season is nearing its thrilling conclusion for 2013-14, and the team I root for (Liverpool) has been right in the thick of it all year long.  Tomorrow's match against West Ham United should be interesting, but in the meantime today seemed like the perfect day to post this beauty from the 1960 A & BC Gum footballers set:

That is one well-loved Tony Knapp!  I come across these cards so infrequently that I can't afford to be picky about condition at all.  Tony here suffers from just about every possible flaw, including bent corners, creasing, and the beloved "mystery stain".  Something about seeing these older soccer players that I know nothing about on the oh-so-familiar 1959 Topps design just hits a collecting sweet spot for me.

The main reason I chose this card is obvious if you're a soccer fan, as Leicester City clinched promotion to the Premier League this weekend.  Next year they'll be playing in England's top division for the first time in a decade, so congratulations to the city and its fans!

These are the only soccer cards I own, and I'm just in love with the set.  I just don't think I'll ever be able to finish it, but I'm still going to try.  Tony Knapp represents my 5th card.  Right now there is one that I need available on eBay for $8 and change plus another $4 shipping.  A little steep but I'm still tempted...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what's the answer to the trivia question? :)

shoeboxlegends said...

No idea! I could look it up but I'm guessing you know?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...